Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Pinewood Derby

The stress of pinewood derby!!! I always stress a little for Dallin he gets so into his car. He drafts different cars and then narrows down his pictures until he thinks he has his winner. This year he came up with a new paint technique. It was cute to listen to him explain it to us. "I want to paint the first coat all black, then on top of that use different colors and blob it on. Then use a q-tip to blotch it all over, until the different colors blend together." I'm not to sure were he came up with the idea, but it looked really cool by the time he finished it. So yes this year I was nervous for Dallin, however I had stress of my own. Myself and my committee were in charge of the race, and all the awards, and everything else that goes along with it. Thank goodness my committee is great and I have a lot of people who want to do a good job, so this year was a lot of fun. Dallin is getting ready to weigh his car at check in.
 The car has to weigh 5oz. or less. Dallin's car weighed 5.04oz. Steve was not there so I was left to drill out some of the wood. One of the men there wanted to help, I explained to him the the back of Dallin's car was loaded with weights in the back. Steve and Dallin drilled 3 holes through the back and slid weights into it. They were all hidden in the wood. So I explained to the guy all of this. He drilled right into the back, split the back end of Dallin's car wide open and shot the weights out the side. Dallin's little face was horrified, I'm sure mine was the same. I know he was trying to help. I tried not to make him feel bad, but of course he did. He helped me repair it. I took over then and did the best I could, I drilled little holes all over the underside of Dallin's beautiful car that he worked so hard on. I felt so bad for him and Steve. Steve finally got off work after Dallin had already raced through his den. He ended up taking first in his den. Even with it shaking down the track.
 All the boys waiting for the racing to start.
 Here we are still trying to repair his car.
 Finally everyone is ready.
 Dallin racing for first place. I'm so glad he won, after everything we went through.
 Of course Spencer wants in on the action.
 The boys with their car. Getting it ready for the Grand Champion Race. Dallin ended up taking 3rd over all, shaking all the way down the track. The winning car was a little questionable. We want to know what it was made out of???.
 I made the treats. I turned zingers and marshmallows into little cars.
 Dallin's champion car. He wanted to make it like his Uncle Matt's kind of, Matt's had 1 hole, he wanted 2.
 Dallin getting his trophy.
 There they are, with their winning car. At the end of the night Dallin asked to ride home with just his Dad. He wanted to talk about his car, he was a little disappointed with it, and wanted to know why it was shaky and can't decide if he wants to go to Districts this year.
 I made these cupcakes for the Flat Tire winner. This is the boy that comes in very last. We sashed him this year with a real flat tire and gave him his plate of cupcakes.
So glad it is over. these past 2 pack meetings have been really big ones. For the next few months they are pretty low key and then the summer.  So we will have a couple months of a break. Steve just got a new church calling. I have to wait until Sunday to announce it on my blog. It's a busy one and has me wondering if I will ever see my husband. We are getting ready to go to Saint George for the next 5 days. We are going to meet, my Mom, Dad, Matt, Tom and Chelsey their. Then on Monday the William's are coming. Can't wait to see them. I am going to meet Isla for the first time and am getting excited to see her. Just 1 more day, I should go pack.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

i can't wait to see you! Isla is excited too! :)