Monday, February 9, 2009

Home again

On Friday morning Eliza had a doctors appointment at 9:00am. She was looking much better. A lot of her swelling had gone done, however she still had a high fever. Also her skin was peeling around her face, and hips. I am so thankful that when we left the hospital the pediatrician told us we had to see a doctor before Friday and that he talked to me about our family doctor.He urged us to go to a pediatrician.And told me about the doctor that his kids went to and asked if I would like him to call and see if this doctor would see us.Of course I took him up on the offer. When the doctor saw Eliza and realized she had, had a high fever for a little over a week he asked us to be on the safe side a go right over to the pediatric cardiologist. At the cardiologist he ran two test on Eliza's heart. The first, an EKG and second, a Eco gram(ultra sound). When the results came back we realized Eliza's coronary arteries were swollen and dilated. She has a disease called Kawasaki's disease. If caught within 10-14 days it can most likely be treated without long term heart damage. The risks from the disease is aneurysms and heart damage. So from there we were admitted back into the hospital. At 2:00 Eliza was given IBU to bring down her fever.By 3:30 they started her on IVIG, the medicine to treat Kawasaki's disease.She got the medicine through her IV over the next 12 hours and hasn't had a fever since.
The following morning her cardiologist came in to talk to us and asked how it was that we were able to get into Dr.Seemann, The pediatrician, I told him the story of how Dr. Stokalof made a call for us. Dr. Mathison, the cardiologist, said,"Well you worked into the system very nicely.It was a good catch on his part."
I know that we were very blessed.I'm so tankful for all the prayers on Eliza's behalf. Also on behalf of the doctors. We are very grateful that everything has worked out like it has.
Over the next month Eliza will be taking aspirin to thin out her blood this should prevent any aneurysm. Then we will go in to see if there was any long term heart damage. We will just keep our fingers crossed and say a lot of prayers. Thanks to everyone who kept Eliza in there prayers. It worked!!!! If you want to read what Kawasaki's disease is you can go to the link below.
http://kidshealth.org/parent/medical/heart/kawasaki.html

3 comments:

Ames and Jer-da-me said...

I was looking at some of the pictures of Eliza in the hospital...is it ironic that some in some of those pictures, because her face is so swollen, it gives her squinty asian eyes...I am just saying.

Debbie's Delights said...

I am so glad that Eliza is doing better. Our prayers are with her. I hope both Dallin and Eliza got my Valentines. Miss all of you

Rachel said...

Emily-I read up on Kawasaki disease after you told me that Eliza had it!I am so glad they caught it early.Isn't it so amazing that prayers are answered often through other people instead of the way we might think they would come!I think that is so we still have to have faith and know that it is Heavenly Father answering them. We are so glad she is doing better!!Love you all!!