Monday, March 14, 2011

Grand Falls


We had a super fun, muddy day. There was about 7 other families there, we all hiked into together.
First we played in the black sand. The older boys started jumping off the cliffs into it. Then the little boys started jumping, then the girls.

Spencer tasted the sand for us, he kept putting it in his mouth so he must of loved it. So gross, I did my best to keep it out.
I had to go up there and convince Eliza to jump but she did it, again, and again, and again.
Dallin and his buddy buried Brent
After we played in the sand we hiked down to the waterfall. It's all lava rocks and I had Spencer in a pack on my back. It was a tight fit in some spots, kind of made me nervous. Some moms bowed out at this point.
I can't believe these crazy kids went in, it was freezing.
Spencer was having the best time. Every time I put him in the backpack he screamed to get back out and run around.
Then the MUD FIGHT started.

This is the end result.

Eliza was stringing mud through her hair. She was having everyone cover her in mud. It was fun until she wanted it off and had to lay in the freezing cold water to try and rince some of it off. Which is kind of pointless, since the water is basically mud.
Eliza and I hiked to the other side of the waterfall, we hike about 3/4 of the way up but the rest was really muddy and slick rock. I didn't want to come down with Spencer on my back, so we said good enough.
A look down the canyon, they call this the Little Colorado, obviously it empties into the Colorado River. I was a great kick off to Spring break. Now I have to get ready for Sycamore Canyon tomorrow and all I really want to do is go to bed.
Spencer playing in the black sand and loving it.
Spencer slidding down the black sand hill like al the other kids. He was laughing the whole way down.
.
Dallin following his peers, and jumping off the cliffs into the sand.

2 comments:

brittany said...

That looks like a lot of messy fun! Where is that?

Emily said...

In the middle of no where. It's out on one of the Indian Reservations. It's only about 40 minutes from my house, but the ride seems longer because you have to take dirt roads to get there. The last 10 miles are washboard roads.
www.waterfallswest.com/az_grand.html -
go to this website you can read all about it. It was pretty amazing to see, you should come.