Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Great System


So last Monday after the kids left for school I thought to myself,"This is not working." Every morning and every day after school I am making myself and my kids CRAZY! I am constantly hounding my kids, "Have you done your homework?", "Put your reading logs away?", "Make your bed!" I want self sufficient kids. Well we are on our way. This system was so easy. I picked these boards up at Office Max, and printed off these tasks on my label machine. Everyday they have to check off all these responsibilities. They each have a cubby, in their cubby are different folders. One labeled reading, another homework. I have a cubby and my folder is labeled Mom papers. Everyday they get home they have to empty there backpacks and put all papers away in the right folder. Then they start on there board. When they have checked off all there tasks they get to use there 30 of xbox, or TV time. One last thing I really stressed this. They can not check the task until the folder has been put away!!! All homework material put away!!! I have to say I think it has fixed the problem, for now. They are even waking up in the morning and doing their piano, and flashcards before school. It's been really great. Just wanted to share what is working for us.
One last thing, those 4 mail boxes on the top of the cubbies have been such a fun thing in our house. I got them at Target for a dollar a piece. We have been putting little notes in there to each other, everyone is in on it, even Dad. The kids get so excited when they see the flag up and see they are getting mail.

3 comments:

Celeste Dodge said...

I love those mailboxes! I'll have to go check them out. I made a job board this week too. It has been so helpful in knowing what they are really doing vs. what they say they are doing. Great minds think alike!!

Rachel said...

Emily-This is such a great idea, it even makes me want to get super organized. I did job charts with my older kids, but Emme has missed out. I just might have to do one for Katelyn and Emme!!Sounds like all is great with you and that you had a great aniversary!! Spencer is getting so big and cute! We miss you all!!!

"M" Clan said...

You are adorable! I love you mailbox idea, I think I will steal it for next year :) I couldn't agree with you more, job charts ROCK and make the world a much brighter place!! xo