Monday, March 29, 2010

Pinewood Derby

Dallin had a lot of supporters at the big race. I was at Micheal's and saw these foam fingers. I thought it would be so fun for the kids seeing me cheer from the stands with one of these. The other side says GO ELIZA. Dallin and Taige both made it to Districts. Or pack race was interesting. There was a lot of illegal cars, which had me and some other parents kind of upset. Luckily Dallin still won first place in his den, which qualified him to go race in Districts. In the overall race he got bumped out about half way through racing against one of the illegal cars.
Dallin and one of his really good friends Taige both made it to districts. It was a very fun, intense, and nerve racking day for the both of them, and there Mother's.
Let the competition begin. Dallin and Steve take this Pinewood Derby thing very seriously. About a month before the race Dallin drew up a picture of what he wanted his car to look like. Along with how fast he wanted it to go, 3 mph. Then he and his Dad drafted it on the computer and printed out the pattern to copy when they cut the cars shape. Dallin did all the sanding and painting himself. Steve drilled the weights in and together they did the finishing touches. It is very serious business.

The smile after a big win.
Dallin ended up taking 2nd place in the first heat which moved him onto the finals. He came in 5th place overall. I could tell he was fighting back the tears when he lost. It's so hard to watch your kids loose. Especially when he put his whole heart and sole into making this car. I am embarrassed to say I was trying not to cry right along with him. It's tough being a Mom. His buddy Taige ended up in 4th place and we had to go through the same emotions all over again. Here is the conversation we had after he lost. I told him how proud I was of him and that he should be proud to. Out of about 100 cars he has the 5th fastest and that is amazing. Then I said, "How about I take you guys out for ice cream to celebrate?" Dallin's response was, "No, but do you know what would make me feel a lot better? If you took me to Target to get Bakugan battle gear." He is trying to play me for a fool. We ended up going out for pizza with friends. He is one smart boy.
Dallin with his car, he painted it like one of his favorite bakugan Eliza got to make a car with her Dad to. The funny thing is, half the amount of time went into her car and she beat Dallin's and Taige's car.

Spencer has started sucking his thumb lately and I am so torn about it. I think he looks so cute when he does it, however it's a hard habit to break. I will probably try and put an end to it pretty soon.

1 comment:

"M" Clan said...

That's so awesome! I love how proud he is after his win, such a great moment! xo