Wednesday, May 12, 2010

A week of Vacation

This is my absolute favorite picture from the trip. Love you Liza Lou.

I blogged this one backwards, so sorry. We came home driving through Monument Valley at sunset it was beautiful. On the way home we went through Monticello. We showed the kids where Grandpa went to High school and played football. Where Steve was born, and lucky Steve apparently it is one of the top 100!!! Of WHAT???

We also went by there Temple. I was surprised when Eliza said it looked like the one in Memphis. It's the exact same.


We hiked out to an old Cowboy camp at the Canyonlands. We did the "Needles" side of the park the last day we were in Moab. It was a really fun hike we got to hike by a lot of mushroom rocks, and climb up ladders. We also got to hike under a lot overhangs which was fun.



This natural spring was close to the old cowboy camp. It was really cool to see ,however there was a lot of spiderwebs, which I was not a fan of.



The Old Cowboy Camp

Also on the Needles side of the Canyonlands park, we hike out to the "Pot holes." We hiked all the way out there and were all a little disappointed, that there was no water. So that meant, no tadpoles. We were all a little bummed. Then this big black crow flew in and landed a little ways, a way from us. Of course the kids could not resist running after him, and sure enough the crow had landed to get a drink out of the only full pot hole. Of course the kids were positive the crow was heaven sent. Lucky for us we got to see tadpoles.

The Needles at Canyonlands.

We stopped by Newspaper Rock. They believe that this rock has 2,000 years of human history on it. They think that the Native Americans used to stop by here, while traveling through to document there history.

Spencer while camping. He loved to rub his hands in the dirt. He would just rub back and forth open palm, pushing the sand all around. I'm sure he ate his fair share.

The boys at the camp fire. Dallin and Eliza used there pocket knives to cut down all of our kindling. They also used it to widdle their campfire sticks. Those "camp fire sticks" just make me nervous. I'm surprised no one got burned.
Dallin and Eliza at the Canyonlands, on the "Island in the Sky" side of the park. Eliza got a book that tells you what animals live in the Canyonlands. So pretty much every hike we spent looking up animals. Lots of fun!!!
Steve and the kids at the, "Island in the Sky."
Spencer and I in Moab. This is at the Power Damn, it's one of my favorite hikes. I love to hike through the water. Spencer and I hung out while the kids and Steve hiked up on top of the water hole. Spencer was really tiered.
The water was a little high so Steve carried the kids across the river. On the way back the kids where already soaked, so we just held onto them and all wadded across.
We did this hike in the morning before the Power Damn. It was up on the slick rock flats. Up by the Lions back. We hiked out to a cave. The kids love to "imagine" when we hike. I started it so they would like to hike, so here is the story for this hike. Once we crossed the sand river. That is where people are turned into sand if they touch any part of the river, and you better watch out for the lizards. They try and make you chase them into the river, so you will turn to sand forever. Luckily we all made it. Once across the river, you enter into the cave. We had already gathered our sand on the other side of the river, you need the sand to put on the post(as seen below) for the cave to open up into the new world.
Here we are right before we dropped off into the sand river and then up into the cave. You enter into the new world in the left corner. Just in case you want to go.
We found a great campsite. While it was a little cold and windy it was a beautiful site to wake up to every morning. About 100 feet from the tent was the Colorado River.Which the kids loved to walk to and throw rocks. Not to sure why that is so fun, but it is.
Like I said it was a little windy so one night we cleared out the pilot and all slept in the back which would have been just fine but at 2 in the morning Steve went to turn the car on, so we could turn on the heat and it set the car alarm off. We could not turn it off. I kept blaming it on him, saying he hit the panic button. He insisted he didn't. Well at 5:30 he proved me wrong. He went to turn the car on again and set the alarm off again. I was so embarrassed. I'm sure all the other people camping just loved us. Well he set it off one more time and this time we just drove out of camp so we could figure out what was going on with our new car. So for those of you with a new pilot, don't try and unlock your car from the inside 'manually" after the alarm has been turned on. FYI!!!
We stayed at my parents while we where going to the wedding and the baby shower. I found my Mom's old typewriter and pulled it out for the kids. Dallin and Eliza loved it. Dallin said, "I have only seen one of these in a museum." I thought that was pretty funny and it made me feel really old. They played forever, on this old thing.
Family Prayers
These are my new high heels. I think they are like art and I love them. I got them for the wedding. I tried to wear them to Dallin's and Eliza's baseball games the other day, but Steve said it was not really baseball attire. Thanks Aly for modeling them for me. Love ya.
We had a 16th Birthday party for Matt and my cousin Jack, his wife Rachel, and their baby Jack came. Spencer and Jack are about 2 weeks apart. Spencer kept reaching over and grabbing Jack Jr.'s hair and making him cry. "Bully"
Spencer's very first crawl. He decided that learning to crawl the day before we went camping would be best. And so be it.
Amy Baby shower. It was so fun to do this for her. Everything turned out great and so many people showed up. We can't wait to meet Baby Kratos. Her friend BreAnna made these water bottles which where so cute.
Eliza with Danyella at Mel's wedding reception. Eliza loves Danyella.
Spencer was not happy about being there. he was so sick but we drug him along so we could show him off. He is such a trooper. He really didn't have a choice, poor guy. But, I love this picture, Spencer is crying because we put him down, Syd has no idea what is going on, Eliza is trying to console Spencer, and Dallin is acting like a spaz. Yeah, that sound about right.
Eliza and Sydney looked so cute in there matching dresses.

Mel and Sam cutting the cake.
The family went out for a ride while we where loading up the car before the big trip. We got into Utah around 5 in the morning the day of the wedding. We had to be up to the temple at 9. However, Spencer litterally screamed the entire 8 hour trip, I don't know if it was ear infections or hand foot and mouth again. All I know is it was miserable for him, and me, and the rest of the family. I'm just glad it's over and I finally got to go to sleep that next night. well, at least longer than 30 minutes at a time. That was my 3rd night of no sleep and my eyes where so blood shot and sore at the wedding. I'm just glad he was better by the time we went tent camping.

My motorcycle gang.

No comments: