Wednesday, October 20, 2010

LANDSLIDE, "Can I handle the season's of my life?"

Dallin and I were driving to school all alone yesterday and I turned on this song. Dallin loves to listen to songs and then tell me what they mean. When they were little I would always tell them what the words meant, now he is old enough to figure out some of the words all on his own. With this song, on this morning, I asked him if he knew what this song was about? He said, "Tell me." So I started from, "Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?Can I handle the seasons of my life?" I explained that he is in a different season than me. He is a kid and his main job in life right now is to make good choices and have fun being a kid. I said, "for me I am a mom, right now. You guys are my main job.

The next line, "Well, I've been afraid of changing'Cause I've built my life around you. To explain this one I said, "Like right now I'm a Mom. My whole life is you guys. Everything I do is for my family. It's what I want to do. You guys are going to go off to college someday and leave, and your supposed to. But that is going to be hard for me, because I have built my life around you." At this point I already had to swallow back some emotion. I did go on to tell him that I would be OK, and that it's life. It's part of getting older. Which ties in the next line of the song which we just listened to, "But time makes you bolder, Even children get older, And I'm getting older too.

We were sitting in front of the school now and I turned around in my seat to say goodbye, only to see him half smile at me and say, "I love you Mom, have a good day." I said, "love you back, have a great day." He jumped out of the car and ran into school. I just started to cry. Not a hysterical cry, but my eyes welled up. If I could freeze time every once in a while I would. I just watched him run into school thinking, it's going by way to fast.

I know so sappy, but it was one of those moments for me as a Mom, when I realize how lucky I am to have them. I know songs mean different things to different people, they even mean different things to me at different times in my life. This is just what it meant to me on this morning, with Dallin.

LANDSLIDE- FLETWWOD MAC
I took my love, I took it down
Climbed a mountain and I turned around
And I saw my reflection in the snow covered hills
'Till the landslide brought me down

Oh, mirror in the sky,What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Well, I've been afraid of changing 'Cause I've built my life around you
But time makes you bolder
Even children get older
And I'm getting older too

Ah, take my love, take it down
Ah, climb a mountain and I turned around
And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide will bring it down

And if you see my reflection in the snow covered hills
Well, the landslide will bring it down
Oh, oh, the landslide will bring it down

Watch it on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WM7-PYtXtJM

1 comment:

Debbie's Delights said...

You are a great Mom Em. keep it up. Dallin is the best. Enjoy him!