Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Spencer's B-Day Party



We finally got to have Spencer's birthday party. He has been sick for a while now. He came home from UT with a cold (I will post the month of August eventually, our last trip to UT I left the camera charger, so all my pictures are on Rachel's camera) Then Steve brought home this cold, cough and fever. Dallin got it last Tuesday and missed the 1st week of school. Then, Spencer came down with it. He was supposed to have his party on Saturday, then Sunday, and finally on Monday he was feeling well enough to have it. I had so much fun planning it. We invited (by the way Steve didn't want me to have a party and invite people, but I ignored him and through one anyways) So I invited only people who were close to Spencer. That was the Moore Family, they love Spencer. Hallie and Spencer are boyfriend, girlfriend, and they have been babysitting Spencer since he was born. We love the Moore Family, all great kids. We also invited the Graham's (they are our Flagstaff family), we also love this family. There girls come over a lot and spend a lot of time with Spencer. Last but not least, we invited the Mickelson's. Tanner is Dallin's buddy and is over a lot, Cassidy loves to steal Spencer as well when we are at the pool. Love them also. I was glad everyone could come and celebrate with us.
Now, lets get one thing straight. While I was stressing out, over Spencer's party, Steve was reminding me that Spencer is never going to remember this!!! I just want to state it now, "the first year party is not for the baby. It's for the Mother. It still is about Spencer, BUT my BABY is turning 1!!!
So, here is all that I stressed over for a while and put in about 3 days of work, baking, cleaning, shopping, decorating, cleaning and decorating, and baking. Then last minute decided to serve dinner, so more shopping, and cooking, and cleaning. It was all worth it everything was so cute and so fun for our family.
Below, is how I decorated the front door.
I found these lifesavers, below, at Micheal's I was planning on some how working them into the party. I also wanted to put up some pictures of Spencer. I was going to get a picture of him at every month, up to a year, and put together a collage. However, that was just way to much work. Anyways, this is what I came up with. It fit perfect into the "Under the Sea" theme, and I think they turned out so cute.

I put tables out on the deck, and decorated with balloons, lots of cup cakes, sea shells, and fish. I really had a lot of fun doing all this.

OK, there is a problem decorating with fish. We did have a casualty. If you look in the fish bowl, there is a fish "sleeping" at the bottom. Thank goodness he/she was the only one.
Spencer's whale cake. (second attempt at the caption)
At first this is what I wrote, and then after I finished, I second guessed myself. I looked at the picture again and thought, "Emily you are crazy, no one is going to look at that cake and think there is a problem with it. You are pointing it out." So, then I decided to write the caption over. Then, when I went to delete the bottom part, I thought, "Just leave it, let people know your crazy thoughts, it's all for history. Someday my kids will get to read this and really know there Mom was a little questionable. Aren't we all???
(First attempt at caption) This is kind of a funny angle of Spencer's whale cake, but you get the idea. I am probably the only one who can tell the mouth doesn't look right in the picture, but if you look over it straight, I promise it's centered. Just had to say! For my piece of mind! Because I'm kind of a perfectionist, (I 'm sure this is a surprise to some of you) when it comes to stuff like this and I don't want people thinking it doesn't look centered. Just had to say! :))

I used these during dinner. They held the plates, napkins, and chips.
I had jars of gum balls, sixletts and swedish fish around for the kids to grab handfuls.
This was the center piece at the adult table. I got a huge fish bowl and a Betta fish, then put sea shells around the bottom of it.
At the kids tables I did the same thing, just used smaller fish bowls. I had 3 tables total. At the end of the party, as the guests party favor, each family got to take a fish bowl with them. I also put together a bag with fish food and water conditioner..
Spencer opening his birthday present. He got 2 of his favorite things. He loves cars, and with this car, he pushes a button on the top and off it goes. He chases the car all day. He also got a ball. Which he also chases all day. He picks up the ball, throughs it, and then crawls after it. Repeat!
CAKE TIME!!! he is not going to start until he gets that hat off.
I gave all the kids those party blowers, mistake. He cared more about getting a hold of one of those, than eating cake. So he decided to show off and take a few steps, to try and get one.
When he reached for it he fell over, and almost fell in the cake. It put him close enough to it, that he decided to check it out, and see what it was.
First bite.
Who knew that he was trying to watch his figure, because this is how he ate the cake. He stayed pretty darn clean, and cared more about working the crowd to get some laughs, than eating cake.
There he is at the end, like I said, not much of a mess. He then decided, to crawl off and get into the kitchen drawers.

After all this blogging, I am sad I didn't get one picture. There isn't one of Spencer and his guests. I really wish I had one of those!!! Over all fun party, and... MY BABY IS ONE!!!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Emily-As usuall, the party for Spencer's birthday was over the top cute!!It looks like he loved it and I'm sure everyone else did!He may not remember it later, but he will have great pictures to let him know how much work his mom went to and how much she loves him!